Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Open Verses Concealed

I brought it up here

And again it's my opinion: In Ohio there are no rules for signage, and yes I know you have to knowingly be in a "No Guns" posted store, to technically be in trouble. But I also understand ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of most law enforcement.
FYI: In Ohio entering a posted business is a 4th degree misdemeanor (Sure you can hire a lawyer and fight it, it's your choice)

I do my up most not to do business with stores that post the signs, but some of the stores do not post clearly, but I always look, as I really refuse to support those that refuse to support us.

So back in 04 I stopped at the IGA in Germantown Ohio, to pick up some items, and I checked the front entrance, no sign, got a cart, went through the 2nd set of doors, did my shopping, and as I recall I did bend down and pick up something I think that was when my jacket rode up and exposed the Browning, I had gotten that item, then went to check out, took my items to my car, and was seated in the car, when 3 police cars arrived, and blocked me from moving.
Long story short I told the officer I had worn the holster in, but the gun had been locked in glove compartment, he also stated it was clearly posted, I said sure that's why I, I had left the gun in the car, the clerk who called it in, saw the holster, but wasn't sure they had seen a gun, so they let me go.

I stopped back there a couple of days later, as I wanted to see "the sign", inside at the second set of doors was an 8 1/2x 11 sheet of paper with print about the size you are reading, with not only "No Guns Allowed" but but a pretty detailed explanation of the Ohio R.C. Now I know you could have hired a lawyer, and maybe even won, I do prefer to spend my money in other ways. I have not returned to that store.

I have since entered other stores to later find out they were also poorly posted, but I am also more aware of keeping it concealed, so there have been no further problems.

So for those that feel they must OC then go ahead, just be careful out there ok?

2 comments:

Axeanda45 said...

If you did not see a sign, they cant prove you did.


a person who knowingly violates a posted prohibition of that nature is guilty of criminal trespass in violation of division (A)(4) of section 2911.21 of the Revised Code and is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree.

Kinda hard to PROVE if I read a sign or not.

The Duck said...

Yes you are correct, and I mentioned that in the post. But the officer seemed to think it was posted clearly, so if I had still been in the store, it is likely an arrest could have taken place.
The proof at that point would have been in court, and as I mentioned that's not really where I want to spend my money, (getting a lawyer etc)I don't chose to be the test case.
If you get an officer with some common sense, and a poorly posted sign, you'll likely get off with a warning, and only ask to leave the business. But you get one that wants to be a prick, then you'll get arrested, and charged, you may well win in court, but it will cost. The point of the thread was those who OC have to be more aware of those postings, as well, common sense says they are more likely to be noticed. you might check this link:
http://www.alphecca.com/?p=1806#respond

It may be in Wisconsin, but that can be the policy at some Ohio Depts too.