Saturday, January 02, 2010

What's happened to Gun Shows?

This weekend marked the 20th year of myself attending gun shows, I remember that almost feeling of shock, at seeing so many firearms under one roof, that very first time. But the shows have gone from Gun & Knife shows to "Crap & Knife with a few guns Shows".

Don't take me wrong, I've bought anything from surplus items, range bags, spotting scopes to knifes, ammo, and a time or two even jewelry and more than a few firearms at the gun shows.

But the days of them being truly "GUN" shows seems gone, use to go if for nothing more than ammo, but even by the case it's not what it use to be. Maybe gaze at what I couldn't afford.

Now for me it is more of a social outing, I run into people I know or have known in the aisles, and there are a few of the dealers I go to visit, maybe it's the area I don't really know.

Today the show just seemed barren, oh there were 10's of boatloads of people, looking, gazing, even buying. But to me there was little to buy or gaze, little of interest.

Maybe it's me, perhaps I'm jaded, maybe it's winter I don't know, but the shows aren't what they use to be.

1 comment:

GunGeek said...

One of the show promoters in our area has a strict rule that no more than 25% of the tables rented can be for non-gun-stuff vendors.

Their shows are worth going to.

Their tables are also booked solid for 2010, so that tells you something.